How many times have you heard people compare Bombay to New York City? It’s true. If you care to look, there are many similarities.
Here are just a few of the defining geographic, cultural and social qualities of both great cities –
- the financial hub of their respective nations
- coastal (partly island) cities
- the frenetic pace and bustling energy
- a melting pot of diverse cultures and languages
- a place that attracts immigrants (who come to follow their dreams)
- everyone is just a number here – not a small town by any definition!
- the stark diversity (rich/poor being just one of many)
- art and theater/cinema (different scope of course, what with Broadway – but we’ll throw in Bollywood on the other side)
- a happening night life and city
- crazy traffic and the taxi cab culture
- millions who make each their home
A few years ago, as I was looking into the far away future, I told myself that having lived in small town USA for most of my life, I would like to retire in Manhattan just so I could feel and live that very different kind of energy. Most people who heard this (pipe-) dream thought I was crazy. Now, look what I find myself in…one foot still in small town USA, and the other squarely planted (for the time-being) in the other city that never sleeps. Serendipity, anyone?